loved the mirabella apartments - Review of Mirabella Apartments, Agios Nikolaos
Its a bit late to be writing a review, because it was last October we were there, but is was one of the most enjoyable holidays I have ever had, I dont know if it was because of the company of our family group of 6, or the place, I think it was probably a bit of both. We spent the last week of the season there, I think we would visit a few weeks earlier next time, to ensure the weather was a little better. There was a day/night when it hammered down with rain and we watched the sheet lightening lighting up the place, from the covered outdoor bar, it was quite spectacular. The rest of the time, the weather was good, a lot like a good summers day in the UK. We were glad it wasnt too hot (even though we love the heat) because it meant we were able to do lots of walking and sight seeing, without wanting to faint in the heat. We walked into Ag Nic (as the locals call it) quite often, it takes about 30 - 40 minutes and is a lovely walk, there was a Taverna about 1/2 way with a fabulous Rubber tree in the middle of the bar and an Internet part (which meant the children could keep in touch with their friends). We stopped in this quite often, to catch our breath!!!
The town is lovely, again a good walk with planty of places to eat and drink. We ate quite often at one of the many places around the bottomless lake, which is gorgous at night, with the lights reflecting on the water. If you walk to the opposite side of the lake, it is lovely, with doors and ledges built into the rocks. I think they place candles here and have a celebration around Easter time. If you have the energy to walk up the steps, you'll find the views brilliant. The food was good, especially the lamb.
Near the appartments there is a place called Olgas, which if nice, we had a lovely meal there. On the opposite side of the road (either just before it or after it - Icant remenber) there is a great place to eat, the food was the best we had, it wasnt too expensive and was really friendly.
The appartments themselves were not what I expected, but they were clean and comfortable. We had two appartments in all a 2 bedroomed one on the upper floor, with the most spectacular view ever, which changed everytime I looked at it. The other appartment was nearer the road and had not been modernised, but it was pretty neat. The pool is small and was freezing at that time of the year, but we still made good use of it.
The woman who owns the place, might not speak much English, but we found her very pleasant, she let us keep on our appartments for nothing on the last day (we had a late pick up) even though she had charged other people staying there. I think maybe it was because we spent a lot of time in the place, and ate breakfast/lunch at the bar, and spent quite a few pennies on dinks (not all alcoholic)!, whilst a lot of people spent time elsewhere.
We got to know the three ladies that tended the bar, a local in the morning and early afternoon, and two British ladies the rest of the time. What a great laugh we had.
We went on a few trips, one to Spinalonga, I cant explain how I felt when we were there, it was very spiritual. I had read a history book on the Island before we went, what an amazing place. If we go again, I wouldnt do it as and organised trip, I'd just get a boat from Ag Nic, less people walking about that way, and it would be easier to see more.
We also went to Knossis, which was very intersting, but quite hot and busy. We dropped off into the nearest big town and had a great lunch.
All in all, going to Crete was a pretty much last minute idea and an extra holiday for us. But I am so glad we went, I would go again and I would also like to stay in the same place. Plus I also bought a great pair of boots in town!!!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
Comments
Post a Comment