Victoria Alvarez - 2016 Program Participant


What inspired you to go abroad?

I was inspired to go abroad after attending a study abroad fair at my university. I always knew studying abroad was an option, but I had always kind of looked past it, thinking it was too expensive or just not possible for me. But in my second year of college I walked through the study abroad fair and after talking to some of the representatives of different programs, I realized I needed to be a part of the experience. I had never left the United States and I knew I wanted to change that.

View from the hill on which the Acropolis stands in Athens, Greece

The view while walking uphill to Acropolis in Athens, Greece

Why did you choose CIEE?

I chose the CIEE Global Institute Rome Open Campus because of my love for Roman history and art and my past experiences with CIEE. I was lucky enough to go abroad in January 2016 for three weeks with CIEE in Seville, Spain and after such a successful experience with the program, I chose to go abroad for four months in Rome.

What was your favorite part about Rome?

Where does one begin with picking their favorite part of Rome? I think one of the best parts of Rome, and Italy in general, is its ability to always surprise you. The people, the food, the history, the art, none of it never fails to impress you, teach you, or help you grow. There's always something to see and always something to take away.

Gondola ride in Venice, Italy

Gondola ride at sunset in Venice, Italy

What made your experience abroad unique?

I truly believe that when students go abroad, each one has a completely different experience. On my end, I didn't know the language and had never been to Italy before, but I was determined to go and learn. My experience was unique because I chose to go out and do something different and explore each day. I didn't want to waste a day, or waste time. I wanted to experience the most that Rome had to offer.

How did local staff support you throughout your program?

The local staff at the CIEE Global Institute were extremely helpful and thoughtful. I had the unique experience of needing a minor surgery while abroad and the staff was there to help me every step of the way. Not only did they make sure I had access to the proper healthcare and doctors, but they also helped transport me to all of my doctors appointments, served as translators when needed, and made sure that I was always comfortable and always knew what was going on. Because of their help, I was never scared or worried.

What's one thing you wish you would have done differently?

One thing I would have done differently is prepare myself better with the language before leaving. Living in a country without knowing the language so well can be sometimes difficult, however, I did leave knowing more Italian than I expected to. I think better preparation would have been a little helpful though.

Describe a typical day in the life of your program.

After waking up and walking only a few blocks, I would attend classes in the morning and afternoon and learn about things like Italian architecture, art, history, and food. After classes, there would sometimes be optional activities provided by the CIEE program, like tours of the monuments, trips to gelato shops, cooking classes, and much more. If it was on a day where there was no activity planned, I had the ability to walk around the city and explore. I could walk to the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, the Trevi Fountain, and more, or I could try a new restaurant, eat endless amounts of gelato, or walk through the small Italian shops.

The beautiful thing about studying abroad is that every day is completely different. It's truly what you make of it. A new adventure always awaits.
Colosseum in Rome, Italy

Outside the Colosseum in Rome, Italy

What did you enjoy doing in your free time?

My favorite thing to do in my free time was going on walks. To some it may sound odd, but I come from Florida and walking to your destination isn't exactly common in the city. We drive everywhere. Europe is different in that sense; Rome is different in that sense. The locals walk from place to place, and doing so allowed me to feel like I was part of the everyday Italian culture.

What was your accommodation like? What did you like best about it?

I lived in a three bedroom apartment with four other female students. My apartment was your typical Italian apartment, which allowed me to feel like I was being integrated into the culture. The apartment was fully furnished and well-equipped with everything that we needed.

My favorite part of the accommodation was its location. It was close to the Institute so that the commute to class was a short walk, but it was also in a neighborhood filled with shops, restaurants, and more. The metro and bus stations were extremely close as well, making it easier to travel to other parts of the city.

Overlooking the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France

Overlooking the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France

What is one thing every participant should know before participating in your program?

Before participating in the CIEE Open Campus program in Rome, every participant should know that they are about to embark on the adventure of a lifetime. Before departure I knew that I was in for something great, however it did not hit me until I landed in Rome that I was really traveling to another country and going to live there for an entire semester. From the minute your plane takes off, your life is forever changed by your time in Italy.

Now that you're home, how has your time abroad impacted your life?

My time abroad has impacted my life in many different ways, however, I think the most important way it has impacted me is the lessons that it taught me about the world and other cultures. It taught me to be more accepting, to be more open to change and things that are different, and to understand that everyone is different. We all come from different walks of life with different experiences under our belt, and it's important to understand that, accept it, and respect it. On top of that, I also learned a lot about myself and my capabilities as a responsible individual.

Would you recommend your program to others? Why?

Yes, I would 100 percent recommend the CIEE Global Institute Rome program to other students because of how helpful the staff is. Before my departure, during my time there, and even after my trip home, the staff was well prepared, organized, and helpful every step of the way. I felt like there was always a guiding hand when needed and the classes I took allowed me to learn more about the world outside my own bubble than I ever thought possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parents of Student Murdered by Maintenance Man Sue Apartment Complex

“Blacklist” star Megan Boone lists West Village apartment for $2.4M

Charlotte affordable housing forum raises possible solutions